Friday, July 1, 2011

Sensory Overload

Pumpin', crankin', rippin' . . . pick your adjective. With the formidable snow pack this season, the deepest amount ever recorded this late in the year, dating all the way back to the construction of the Transcontinental Railroad in 1868, the waterfalls in Yosemite were flowing at the highest rate in generations.

The media coverage of the raging waterfalls made national news so needless to say, I had to check it out. It was time for a road trip. Seeing the snow-capped Eastern Sierra Mountains was also on my bucket list so I decided to take 3 days and take a swing through the Central Sierras by way of Tioga Pass Road, which was just opened.

All the stars were aligned to see some of the most incredible natural wonders of the world in one short trip. Taking in all this scenic beauty was mind-blowing. My mind and senses were on max overload!

First, my route took me down the central valley into Yosemite via Hwy 120.

I spent 1 1/2 days in the Valley checking out all the major waterfalls. The second day I hiked up the classic route to see Vernal and Nevada Falls, a must do hike. Getting up close to raging Vernal and Nevada Falls is a rush of a lifetime.

The 2nd day, I left Yosemite Valley and drove Tioga Pass Road over the high Sierra range to Lee Vining. I took Hwy 395 south to Bishop and spent the remainder of the day at Sabrina Lake at above 9,000'.

The 3rd day I drove north on Hwy 395 past Mammoth Mountain, took the June Lake Loop, and continued up Hwy 395 to Monitor Pass Road. I drove over Monitor Summit and returned to Sacramento via Markleeville, Caples and Silver Lakes, and Jackson.

I logged about 750 miles making this big loop. In my humble opinion, this specific route is one of the most beautiful drives in California, if not the US. See if you agree.

The following blogs chronicle my 3 day trip. The entries are categorized as follows:

Part 1 and 2 - Yosemite Valley waterfalls and other cool sights
Part 3 - Tioga Pass Road
Part 4- Eastern Sierra views along Hwy 395

Continue to scroll down or click on "older posts" to view all entries.

To see enlarged view, click on pic once/twice


No comments: